Skip to main content

Does the phrase “Opposites attract” apply in relationships?

I am sure most of us have heard of this concept. It is used a lot in our lingo to refer to different situations for example, relationships. It definitely applies in physics! how about in relationships? 


Merriam-Webster defines the idiom "opposites attract" as a phrase "used to say that people who are very different from each other are often attracted to each other."


I asked some of my friends if they had ever thought of this phrase before in the context of relationships, and NO was the most common answer. 

I also asked what they thought of this phrase and if they agree or disagree with it when it comes to relationships. 


Most of them disagree while a few agreed to some extent. Those who agree say it’s more fun when you are opposites of each other so there is always something interesting to pick from each other. 

On the other hand those who disagree say that the likelihood of bumping heads is very high. You will never find common ground and will definitely not last for the long run. 


I personally disagree. You may be opposites in character but when it comes down to values (which to me are the most important in any relationship)... you both have to share similar values for the relationship to work. 


I also agree that one may admire some values in someone else that they lack or are not super inspired to take up but still acknowledge that they are important as you build your life together.


Random writes by Ms. Carol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DEAR WOMAN OF MY TIME

Dear woman of my time You were born at the perfect time But You grew up in confusing times Let me break it down for you... Social media came up Make up industry came up Cosmetic surgery came up Love and marriage lost its meaning Music mostly lost its meaning.. now its just gang gang and violent isshh! But woman of my time.. you are the most WOKE and empowered You understand the previous and present generations You are not worried about make up and the hype behind it You love your hair natural You know when to be sexy without being "extra" Social media fuckery doesn't affect you.. you understand its mostly not real life You are open minded yet still reserved Your parents come to you for advice You understand what mental health is You believe in therapy You understand why the society is different You fill the gap that is missing in other generations Dear woman of my time you are living like you are supposed to. Keep doing what you are doing! Letters

STILL I STAND

"I was sexually assaulted!" How do i even say it to my parents and mates? How do i start the conversation? Yes i was drunk.. Will they understand? I only had one glass of vodka diluted with sprite Was i drugged? What did the culprit add in my drink? You were my friend, of course you can stay over We were both drunk anyway.. but you were conscious I trusted you to get me home safe Do you even realize what you did? To be honest, i myself just recently discovered that it was assault (years later) Why did i let it happen? Was it my fault? I carry the hurt, shame and a secret that is soo hard to tell I forgave you and still kept you as a friend Our society is not open to such conversations, so how do i hold a grudge when YOU don't know any better? Dear African girl, i am sorry you have to endure and carry some burdens alone. How soon will this conversations begin? Will the generation of my time atleast educate their children? Unanswered questions series by

LOVE OF MY LIFE. THE DRAMA!!! how do i forget the unforgettable?

How do i forget the unforgettable? It has been a while, should i be okay? Stop! Stop! I have screamed to my heart and mind. I promise i have tried.. i really have but... How do i let go of the synchronization of our hearts? The deep dance of our souls, A love so deep it could not be defined, "why is it so hard for you? "Why can't you just move on?" They ask. How do i make them understand when i myself can't? How do i make my heart heal and move on from the death of what we had? Why should i now say that it was what was? How do i speak of us as a past? The perfection of our love is gone, Torn away by life and distance, Do you still think of me? Us? Will we ever get it back? Do you still think of me at the exact time i think of you? Do you remember every moment we shared? I'm i still important to you? Does your heart now belong to someone else? My mind is racing and my heart is breaking. How do i make it all go away?  how do i not cry? I